Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Where have all the criminals gone?

When I first started reading this chapter the Communist dictator of Romania story about abortion made me sick to my stomach. I don't by any means agree with abortion, but making it illegal just to strengthen Romania by boosting its population is absolutely ridiculous. Him and his wife were very selfish for doing the things they did. If it were up to me I would have thrown them in jail for the rest of their lives instead of killing them. As I started reading about how the crime rate differed back in the 60's from today, I was extremely shocked. As I grew up, my parents always said when they were my age they never felt threatened or scared to wall down the streets by themselves. They always said the crime rate wasn't that bad back then. However, this chapter mentions that in the 60's violent crime went on a growth spurt, and during the 1990's which happens to be when I was born, crime fell by nearly 40%. So my parents were actually wrong. I would have never of thought crime rate was worse when my parents were growing up. As I read further into this chapter it began to be more and more difficult to read due to all of the percentages and numbers involved in all of the criminologists' predictions. I felt like every sentence was a math problem and it began to get harder to comprehend and put all of the pieces together. However, aside from all of the numbers, the chapter was interesting. I learned a lot about crime rates within the last 50 years that I would have never of imagined to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment