Monday, February 8, 2010

Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting in the Cafeteria

In “Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting in the Cafeteria,” I felt like I could relate my childhood and adolescent stage to the reading. When I was in middle school I definitely caught on to the different racial cliques around me. It always seemed normal and the way things should be, because that’s how I learned. When I reached high school, one of the best friends I ever had was black. We had so much fun together and really enjoyed each other’s company. I never would have thought I would have a best friend who is black. I’m not racist, but our lifestyles were completely different. Our way of thinking, the way we spoke, and even the clothes we wore were diverse. But that didn’t stop us from being good friends, we accepted each other for who we were and didn’t try to change one another. But I can completely understand what the author says about blacks and whites because I’ve experienced it in school. In the cafeteria I would sit with all of my white friends, and the black people would sit with their black friends. That’s just the way things were and still are today. I don’t believe that will ever change.

No comments:

Post a Comment